WELCOME REMARKS BY
YBHG DATUK BAZLAN OSMAN
MALAYSIAN INSTITUTE OF ACCOUNTANTS
THE MIA INTERNATIONAL ACCOUNTANTS CONFERENCE 2022
“Leading ESG, Charting Sustainability”
8 June 2022
- Yang Berhormat Senator Tengku Datuk Seri Utama Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz, Minister of Finance Malaysia
- Yang Berbahagia Datuk Seri Nik Azman Nik Abdul Majid, Auditor General, Auditor General’s Department
- Yang Berusaha Tuan Haji Rozaimi Idris, Deputy Accountant General (Corporate)
- Dr Wan Ahmad Rudirman Wan Razak, Chief Executive Officer, Malaysian Institute of Accountants
- Distinguished Speakers and Guests
- Sponsors and Partners
- Members of the Media
- Ladies and Gentlemen
- Good morning and welcome to the Malaysian International Accountants Conference 2022, the premier learning and professional development platform of the Malaysian Institute of Accountants or MIA, specially designed to equip accountants for future challenges and ensure the future relevance of the profession.
- As the regulator and developer of the Malaysian accountancy profession governed by the Accountants Act 1967, MIA prioritises integrity and professional development, regulatory compliance and enforcement that will help drive good governance in the public and national interest.
- To strengthen the status and interests of the profession, MIA continuously upskills members on the latest developments and challenges facing the profession and business, while nurturing ethical conduct and professional practices among all accountants who are expected to comply with the laws and regulations, and uphold the professional values of integrity, accountability, and trust in all that they do.
- Taking place towards the end of MIA’s financial year, which is 30 June 2022, the MIA International Accountants Conference 2022 is the apex of MIA’s intensive professional development calendar which features over 900 CPE programmes annually for more than 38,000 MIA members working in commerce and industry, public practice, public sector and academia.
- 2022 marks the second year that the Conference is being held virtually. MIA is maintaining the virtual format of the Conference due to several key factors. One, our content is more accessible, inclusive and diverse on a virtual platform as we are able to connect with speakers and delegates from all over the world, irrespective of geographic restrictions, border controls or quarantine requirements. At this year’s conference, we will be connecting with over 70 esteemed thought leaders and captains of industry who will be addressing close to 3,000 delegates at one of the region’s largest accountancy congregations. MIA is very pleased with the response received and we extend our utmost gratitude to all participants, speakers, sponsors and partners for choosing to attend and support the MIA Conference 2022.
- Two, although we have entered the endemic phase of COVID-19, the virtual platform is still safer while COVID-19 variants remain infectious and there are minimal emerging risks from Hand Foot Mouth Disease and monkeypox.
- Three, the virtual format enables better management of MIA’s carbon footprint and supports national aspirations to achieve a low-carbon economy. MIA’s shift to virtual events has enabled tremendous savings in the use of paper and printing ink, single-use plastic bottles, fuel consumption, transport costs, and of course, hours of work productivity saved by avoiding notorious traffic jams. Should we revert to the physical or hybrid model for the MIA Conference in the future years, we will do our best to minimise our carbon footprint as much as possible.
- Ladies and gentlemen, over the course of the Conference, you will be hearing a lot about the climate crisis, carbon footprints, the ESG agenda towards achieving a low-carbon economy and net-zero targets, and sustainable development in line with the Conference theme of Leading ESG, Charting Sustainability.
- As strategic advisors and partners to business, accountants are at the frontline, therefore, we are expected to be cognisant of the key risks and opportunities facing business and to respond with foresight, insight, agility, adaptability, and resilience. MIA selected this theme because sustainability, particularly the risks arising from climate inaction, extreme weather, and loss of biodiversity, have been named as the biggest threats to humanity and the planet in recent warnings from the World Economic Forum and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
- Starting with the big picture of sustainable development, you will hear numerous different perspectives from our speakers and guests of honour on why integrating ESG is crucial to business, and how accountants will play a vital role in the global sustainability journey, and especially Malaysia’s path to net zero.
- Ladies and gentlemen, shortly, we will be listening to the Keynote Address from our guest of honour Yang Berhormat Senator Tengku Datuk Seri Utama Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz, Minister of Finance Malaysia, who will give us insights into the direction, governance and sustainable development of the Malaysian economy going forward, in line with the Conference theme. As accountants play a vital role as leaders, advisors, and partners to business, I believe Yang Berhormat Senator Tengku Zafrul will also share the specific areas where the profession can uphold good governance and contribute to sustainable business and nation building. Thank you Yang Berhormat for addressing the Conference today and for the Government’s continuing support and recognition of the profession’s contributions.
- Tomorrow, we will get insights into the global profession’s stance on ESG and sustainability. IFAC President Alan Johnson will discuss the mindset change, competencies, and skills that accountants require to take leadership and accountability in navigating climate change risks and ESG expectations. The Conference will then culminate with an address by Malaysia’s very own sustainability crusader, Bursa Malaysia Chairman Tan Sri Abdul Wahid Omar as he shares his perspectives on Malaysia’s vision and potentials for climate action and sustainability, and how accountants can drive enterprise sustainability for a better tomorrow.
- In addition to gaining invaluable insights, delegates can get started on their ESG journey by pledging to support MIA’s sustainability initiatives. Apart from the attendance certificate, MIA will award a Digital Badge to all delegates that sign up for the MIA Pledge to tackle Climate Change during the MIA Conference. The Pledge will be embedded into our Post Conference Evaluation. For more information on the Pledge do visit the MIA Exhibition Booth or do contact the MIA team if you have questions.
- Ladies and gentlemen, as I wrap up, I would like to thank our guest of honour – Yang Berhormat Senator Tengku Zafrul, Alan and Yang Berbahagia Tan Sri Wahid – and distinguished speakers, our Diamond sponsors – AICPA & CIMA, Platinum sponsors – ACCA, IMA and Learnsignal, Gold Sponsors, Supporting Big Firms & Professional Bodies, International Partners & Supporters, Exhibitors, Official Partners, and everyone who collaborated with us to deliver this Conference. I would also like to thank our delegates once again for attending this Conference.
- Finally, I would like to assure all our members and delegates that MIA will be with you at every step on your journey of transformation, as you learn more about how accountants can lead ESG and chart new and innovative horizons of sustainability. So, always be optimistic and open to change, and I hope to connect with you again at the next MIA International Accountants Conference in 2023. We count on your support and will always strive to do better for our stakeholders as we go forward.