In line with the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015 – 2025, MIA has embarked on a number of initiatives as part of our effort in supporting the academia sector.
Below are some of the key initiatives organised by the Institute in support of the academia and the profession:
Initiated complimentary Train the Trainer (TTT) Series
In collaboration with other Professional Accountancy Organisations to share the latest updates affecting the accounting and auditing subjects. The complimentary TTT Series assists academicians in improving their pedagogical and professional development programmes as well as enhancing the knowledge of academicians in line with the latest regulatory changes. The TTT Series is supported by the Council of Deans and well received by lecturers from both public and private universities. The TTT Series focus on a variety of topics, which include the changes of financial reporting standards, auditing and professional scepticism, strategic management accounting and integrated case study, among others.
The objectives of the complimentary TTT workshops are to:
- Assist academicians in improving their pedagogical and professional development programs in line with the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015 – 2025;
- Enhance the knowledge of academicians in line with the latest regulatory changes;
- Update the academicians on current and future direction of the accounting profession; and
- Provide a platform for the academicians to share and discuss on effective assessment techniques as well as framework based teaching for financial reporting standards, among others.
Igniting interests of the students in accountancy career
- Conducted awareness and career talk at more than 50 institutions nationwide covering the states of Perlis, Kedah, Penang, Perak, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Johor, Pahang, Terengganu, Sabah and Sarawak. The career talk covers a number of topics, which include introducing students to the accountancy profession, sharing session on the practical experience, as well as role play and introduction on specific accounting topics/ application of accounting standards.
- Organised national level accounting quizzes together with learning institutions at SPM, diploma, and degree level such as National Inter-College Accounting Quiz Competition, National Inter-Varsity Accounting Quiz Competition and MIA-Sunway TES Accounting Quiz.
- Organised events with university students/lecturers and recognising the students’ achievement such as “Best Accounting Students Award”, Accounting Students Conference, Best Students Meet up with MIA Council Members, and complimentary sharing session by renowned international speakers such as Dr. Chungwoo Suh and Sir David Tweedie.
- Participated in career fairs such as Mega Career & Education Fair, PenEXPO Career and Postgraduate EXPO and Johor Career & Post Graduate EXPO 2017.
- Organised national competitions such as Essay Writing Competition and Video Recording Competition opened to upper secondary school students and accounting degree students respectively.
- Enhance CARE programme via the election of MIA CARE Ambassadors, represented by university lecturers, who provide latest updates on the accountancy career to the students.
Supporting initiatives, events and curriculum review organised by universities such as:
- Participate in invitation for industrial feedback and Industrial Advisory Panel with regards to the latest skill sets required based on market demands.
- Participate in invitation from universities and provide feedback on curriculum review with regards to new universities programme and / or revision of existing programmes.
- Provide sponsorship and /or benefits-in-kind for conventions, events and summits organised by universities.
- Participate and provide support in symposiums such as Yayasan Peneraju Accounting Symposium.
Understanding the needs of the academicians such as:
- Conducting survey on the needs and issues faced by academicians and propose solutions and initiatives to assist them.
- Offering public financial management advisory to universities and institutes of higher learning that are facing budget cuts.
- Research grants via the Malaysian Accountancy Research and Education Foundation (MAREF).
- Good and relevant CPE Training programmes being offered to academicians.
- Hold various special roundtable sessions with Council of Deans, academicians, and practitioners to understand the needs and gap between graduates and market expectation; and discussion on how to commercialise research and development activities.
- Hold professional development activities specifically tailored for academicians, which are marketed at relatively lower prices such as the National Accounting Educators Convention and Standards-Related Courses for Accounting Academics.
Formation of Joint Technical Committee with Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
- Endeavour to achieve harmonisation in the accreditation exercise.
- Set up under Section 50 of the Malaysian Qualifications Agency Act 2007 in relation to the accreditation of professional programmes and professional qualifications.
Provide opportunities for academicians to update knowledge and access to relevant resources and benefits
- Access to Resource
As a member, you will be entitled to our publications, Accountants Today and Budget Commentary & Tax Information Booklet. The Accountants Today contains high quality articles on a number of contemporary accounting and related issues. The Institute has a Resource Centre (RC) which has a wide range of accountancy books and magazines, both locally and internationally. If you are looking to purchase accountancy books, the RC offers a 10% discount of the retail price. For write up on relevant articles affecting the accountancy sector via The Accountants Today.
For details on the release of the first Integrated Report by MIA, refer to the link: MIA Integrated Report.
For details on the International Education Standards (IES), please click here.
- Technical Support – Enquiries
To obtain support from a strong technical team who have both local and international experiences. The MIA portal only allows MIA members to pose technical questions which will be responded to by our technical team within a time-frame
- Technical Support – Updates on Accounting
The Institute delivers to MIA members all updates, both locally and internationally, relating to the accounting profession at an expedient pace. Hence, as an academician, you will be able be in possession of information which keeps you abreast with the profession at all times. For discussion on MFRS Issues, please click here.
For application as MIA Member, please click here.
- Special Pathways to Gain Professional Membership
MIA had signed Memorandums of Understandings/Agreements (MoUs/MoAs) with a number of professional bodies. Under the MoUs/MoAs, excellent concessions are given to members which may be in the form of paper or fee exemptions. Our current MoUs/MoAs are with CPA Australia, CIMA, ACCA and MICPA.
- Other Benefits and Privileges
MIA uses its collective bargaining power to source for value added benefits for members. Amongst these benefits are preferential premium for Personal Accident Insurance, CIMB MIA Credit Card and Special Corporate Rates at the IJN for members and spouses. For members’ benefits and privileges, please refer to the link.